November 8, 2011

Undercover Style


This morning on NPR's Morning Edition Yuki Noguchi reported on Jon Corzine's resignation from MF Global. In the report the Yuki Noguchi described Jon Corzine by saying, "Corzine, who wears glasses and favors sweaters, looks more like a professor, but inside he was pure business cowboy." there are so many things I love about this description: favoring sweaters, business cowboys. Hearing the description immediately got me sidetracked from the story about Corzine's investment approach to my personal style.

Recently I was discussing my grandmother's personal style. Ever since I could remember she donned the same signature style. It seemed that no matter the occassian she wore a variation of her same style. She was not a victim of trends or a slave to fashion. She was a woman who knew what she liked, how she liked it, and she rolled with it for decades. During the discussion my friends and I agreed that personal style is better, and far easier, than subscribing to the current trends. Sometimes I think this mentality is what leads me to take 'business casual' to a whole new level, but that is another story. It is intriguing to have a signature style, though. Having a signature style plants a firm memory in the minds of others, and it also lends itself to the element of surprise. How fun would it be to be pegged as a professor but actually be a business cowboy?

No comments:

Post a Comment