November 30, 2011

Ready or Not


The most common question I am asked these days is, "Are you ready for the new baby?" In one word, "Nope." I have accepted the fact that I am not one of those women who is absolutely excited and always ready to bring another child into the mix. I know I will very much love all my children, but I am also realistic that transition is work, and sometimes I am not in the mood to work.

Everyday I think about how unprepared I am to have another child, and everyday I am one day closer to welcoming a new child into the world. Sure, I have clothes, a place for the baby to sleep, diapers, the car seat, all the things, but mentally I am still operating on being the mother of one. Last week, when I was having regular nightly contractions, I just kept thinking about how we have a good system of how things work in our house, and how another child is going to change that entire system. I am certain that we will adapt and that we will love our new little one so much that we cannot imagine the world without her, but adaptation takes time and effort. This week I am more open to the time and effort it is going to take to have a new little one. I have not have the reoccurring thought of, "What have we done? How did we get into this mess?" nearly as many times each day. I guess that is growth; I guess that means I getting ready to have this baby.


*Photo from http://www.turbosquid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment