February 28, 2012

We Got Away

Source
A couple of weekends ago John and I dropped the kids off at the grandparents' house and headed to Asheville. We had been looking forward to our getaway for weeks. We spent only about 35 hours in Asheville, but it was 35 hours of the highest quality. What made our time so nice was the ability to saunter around town, do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. 

Our children - like most children - have a time limit. Whenever we go places with our children we know that we have a limited amount of time to enjoy ourselves. If I take the kids shopping with me I have to strategically plan my shopping so as to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I make a mental map of the any shopping experience, for efficiency. There is no time for browsing, resting, or people-watching with children in tow. On our getaway I so much enjoyed the relaxation of sitting in restaurants with John, enjoying the sights around us. When the kids are with me I tend to have tunnel vision and I neglect all the interesting goings-on around me. I loved the opportunity to wander around with John and gaze at all the crazy things people do. 

Here are some highlights. . . 


We made sure to hit up the Tupelo Honey Cafe. Yes, it is trendy, but it was worth it. Tupelo honey is one of my favorite kinds of honey, so a cafe based on it was a sure win. 

One of the most striking things to me about Asheville is the number of drifters. Our original goal was to look like drifters. The hostess at the Tupelo Honey Cafe told John to, "Have fun hiking through downtown." Her sarcasm killed the drifter dream. 
Sidenote: Last night John and I saw two drifters in Athens... they were charging their iPhones. I question their drifter legitimacy.

Oh mustaches, I'm excited for this fad to leave us. 

Art. 

I stared at this woman and wondered if I look like her when I have the kids in tow. She was French. According to the media, she is a superior mother, so I probably don't look like her. 

The greatest book about a crocodile in Oslo ever written!

Asheville is a hot-bed for sustainability literature. 

I was very intrigued by the library ads. 

This earthy store had a breastfeeding corner. Would you use it? It seemed a little prescribed to me.

Interesting mobile. I am wondering who would buy this... Would the person who buys this buy it as an educational item or a sentimental piece? If it is an educational piece, it is faulty teaching, and it is is sentimental... well....

I don't think this bus ride ends well for many. 

I love construction site art. 

I am not one to be on the crepe bandwagon, but the Twisted Crepe won me over. 

My date. 


The biggest fire place I have ever seen. 

Our swanky hotel had a turn-down service. For the record, our hotel room was larger than our house. And, I have it on good authority that it was haunted. 


I watched a girl emerge from around the corner of this empty lot. I think she was either going to the bathroom or doing drugs. I had to check out the back corner to see what was happening. I could not come to any conclusions. Unsolved mystery. 

We went out at 9:30pm to listen to live music. Wild!

As we were walking past this window a little girl kept excitedly yelling to her dad, "Faces! So many faces!" Her dad kept replying, "Yes. Kind of freaky..." It made me wonder what Grayson would make of all the faces. 

This hairdo decals are the epitome of frivolity. These are someone's brain-child. The decals are fun in a novelty kind of way but I could not get my eyes to adjust so I could look in the mirror and see the hairdo. I think they would work if they were plastered on the wall behind the mirror... just an observation.  



The drifter stays in a high end hotel. 































3 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun weekend! I'm jealous :) We're craving a weekend away, but it'll be a while since we don't have family around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've definitely brought sexy back! I'm so glad you guys got to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! I love the pictures, the construction site art pic is really cool. You guys are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete