February 3, 2012

Furniture Finds

I have been MIA for the past couple of days. The days quickly slip past me, especially since I am coming to the end of my maternity leave. Also, anytime the weather is as nice (and so strange... 75 and sunny in February?) it's hard to stay inside long enough to post something.

Yesterday John and I officially put in an offer on the little "Artist Bungalow" around the corner from us. I am still shocked that I am in the stage of life where "putting an offer on a house" if part of my dialogue. If everything goes through with the Artist Bungalow it will be very exciting. I am happy that our first home will be one that is small and creative. Our goal is to always stay small. I never want to have a house that I am forced to buy more furniture in order to fill it.

Since the Artist Bungalow is on the smaller size, we have to be very deliberate with our furniture and decor. This is a fun challenge. Today I bought a fun couch. We found it on Craigslist. Since John was at work Lucy and I had to go alone. I know, I know, never go on Craigslist ads alone. I was somewhat freakish about planning my escape if the seller turned out to be a wacko. I spoke with the dude who was selling the couch yesterday on the phone, and I made sure to make some small talk so I could find out more background information, just in case John needed to report things to the police. Even while I was looking at the couch I kept prodding for more information. Now I know where dude graduated from, where he works, and that he is having a hard time maintaining his saltwater fish tank. The fish tank conversation was more out of curiosity, but who knows, maybe it could be useful information. As I was gathering some hard facts I realized that if homeboy decided to kill me it would all be useless, given the fact that I would be dead. In the end, though, the seller turned out to be a stand-up guy who has unfortunately accumulated too many couches to fit in his townhouse. He's a banker, but not super attached to money. I talked him down to $65 for this comfy couch.

Now all we need is to move into the Artist Bungalow.

The lighter marks are actually stripe designs. I am guessing this gem was designed in the very early 80s.

1 comment: