February 16, 2012

Thought-Provoking Thursday - A Stick in the Arm


When my employment dropped from full-time to part-time I lost my health insurance. Losing my insurance was not a huge deal; it just meant that I and the kids would be covered under John's insurance. The monthly rate of John's insurance was lower and the coverage seemed comparable, so we felt like we were getting a deal. Unfortunately, the hope of getting a deal on insurance quickly faded. Even though our monthly rate is lower, the co-pays are through the roof. I know this whining may seem insensitive, given that there are more folks than I know who are completely uninsured, but it's tough to have high co-pays with little children who need medicine and are at the doctor every month. The real kicker for me was the cost of birth control. I thought Obamacare ensured that women would receive free birth control? The co-pay I paid the other day was definitely not free.

I chose to use the pill as my form of birth control after Lucy was born because I am not a huge fan of having objects sitting inside of me, releasing hormones through my body. The monthly co-pay for the pill has me rethinking my opinions and considering implant options though. I was talking to one of my friends the other day and somehow birth control came up. She excitedly showed me her Implanon rod in her arm. I felt like I was witnessing some form of science fiction tracking device. It actually made me a little squeamish. As weird as it would be to have a plastic rod in my arm, it would save us hundreds of dollars. This dilemma of whether or not to take the plunge into birth control implants has been blocking my thoughts all week. It's been blocking my thoughts so much that it has made me forget to take the pill each day. Oy.

Have you used Implanon? What are you thoughts? Experiences?

2 comments:

  1. My Mirena IUD cost me a copay and that was it...5 years of birth control for $30. I've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm fertilly challenged and got pregnant in stirrups in a doctor's office with my husband holding my hand sitting next to me, I got mirena anyways. Just in case...we're (well, I) am not ready for number 2 quite yet. I've been happy and my copay was $15 for up to 5 years. I'll likely have it removed before that, but I knew I wouldn't remember to take the pill every day.

    ReplyDelete