February 22, 2012

Quirky Prayer List

Source

I have never had a "Bucket List". I don't have anything against Bucket Lists, but the concept never really caught on with me. I am not sure why. I like to do things, and I have done a number of things that are stereotypical Bucket List items, but actually listing dream experiences never made much sense to me. Until the other day. I was researching potluck wedding receptions for one of my friends. (Side note: I think it would have been so fun to have a potluck reception. Thoughts? Would you go the potluck route?). Surprisingly, there is not a ton out there on potluck receptions, but during my digging I came across a blog (I wish I could remember what blog it was!) of a girl who had "cater a wedding" on her Bucket List. She was not a chef or in the hospitality business at all, so this desire was very random. As luck would have it, this girl's friend was in a pinch for a wedding caterer, so voila! She had a great experience of giving her friend a fun gift for the wedding, and was able to scratch that dream off her list. I like the idea of having things on the Bucket List that are more than just adventures that you can do anytime you choose. I like a list of dreams that would require many factors to align in order for them to come true. This subtle difference makes the Bucket List more of a Quirky Prayer List. (We all know how hip it is to be quirky these days... thank you, Zooey Deschanel).

This past weekend I started my QPL. Not all things on the list are quirky, and not all are extremely complex, but most are more than the typical Bucket List items. Most of my QPL requires that I learn new skills, stretch myself, and have various circumstances align. I only have 25 items of my list now but my goal it to get to 100. I am taking my time, though. I don't want to fill the 100 with a random mishmash of ideas that I don't really care about. Over the weekend John and I kept tossing back and forth ideas for our QPLs. Right now we have separate lists, which makes life interesting because it means that we will be very busy as both of us venture to check things off our lists.

As I started making my QPL I noticed a trend in my list. A lot of my items involve creating something or starting some sort of business venture. Interesting. I think if college students made QPLs it could be very revealing about what career they should pursue. Just a thought.

Here are some glimpses into my list. . .


Make a pop-up book. . . a {good} pop-up book
Source
Experience Iceland like a local native. How this will happen? Who knows. 
Source
Start a successful public health campaign. I have big plans for you, Athens... The plans don't involve STDs, but this poster was too much to resist. 
Source
Sleep under the Northern Lights. How amazing.  
Source
Host a legit dinner party. I don't know how to define what "legit" means, but I think I will know it when I accomplish it. 
Source
Own a hostel and/or bed & breakfast. John and I share this dream, so that's good. 
Source
 Harvest bees and make honey. Look out farmers' markets!
Source
What's on your list?

1 comment:

  1. These are really cool adventures/experiences! Owning a hostel/B&B is an amazing dream! I do love the idea of having things on my list that require those outside factors to align.

    ReplyDelete