February 7, 2012

I Want the Pits

Source

I have less than a week left of maternity leave and we are about to close on the Artist Bungalow. This is kind of chaotic timing. I am trying to strategize packing and the decor for the Artist Bungalow before returning to work next week. Strategizing basically means I have been browsing Pinterest, IKEA, and various design websites. Very productive, yes. I have yet to put anything into a box. I actually don't have any boxes yet; if only looking around the Internet would produce packed and labeled boxes.

In one of my searches I came across an article about conversation pits. Growing up, my friend's house had a conversation pit. Even though as a child I did not fully understand the concept of retro, I knew her house was a throw-back. It was so fun, yet bizarre, to walk along the top of the couch. I always wondered if anyone ever accidently fell into the pit. My friend's brother was a sleep-walker. For this reason I believed the pit was a major liability, and I was shocked by how indifferent my friend's parents felt about the subject. Liabilities aside, I do find conversation pits endearing. I doubt I will ever have one, but I would love to go to a house with a cozy conversation pit. For some reason I feel like conversation pits are probably only found in Southern California or South Florida these days. I secretly hope the pits make a comeback.

What are your thoughts about conversation pits? Doesn't this one look so comfy?

Source

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I have never in my life heard of a conversation pit, but I am thinking I will have to have one because I love many a good conversation! Sold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Can totally see you with a conversation put, Alicia! I think it would be so fun and a conversation piece within itself to put one in the backyard.

    I think I may try to semi-create a convo pit when the kids get a little older and I'm trying to help them navigate the social skills of conversation. We can have Family Pit Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a conversation pit!! I would never want to leave it. I would want to live there.

    ReplyDelete