January 31, 2012

Book It Tuesday

Source  
It's Tuesday, and technically it's Book It Day, but I am having a hard time drumming up thoughts for conversation. Online book clubs are hard! One of the hardest parts about the club is that I don't know who has the book, how many folks finished the book, and if anyone is actually interested in discussing the book. Some books just don't make great book club books... Is this a case of a poor book for discussion? Is the Internet in our way? Am I a poor book club moderator? Am I throwing in the towel on the book club idea too early?

Source
A semi-side note: I was shocked and kind of annoyed that Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret was not available on the Kindle. How snobby and 21st century of me, I admit it. It was enjoyable to have an older copy to read though. I felt like I was connecting with the history of the girls, now women (Yes, I am assuming no boys have ever read this book), who read the copy before me. The community that can form through books is something I miss by using a Kindle. I miss bookstores especially. Yesterday a friend and I were discussing that we would like to visit a local bookstore that opened recently. It looks charming, like the dream everyone has at one point of being a bookstore owner. It's the Kathleen Kelley in all of us. But, sadly, I don't have anything pressing me to go to the store other than curiosity and a little nostalgia. Any book I want (well, any book other than a Judy Blume classic) is at my fingertips. Maybe I should go to the bookstore today just to hear the bells that I am certain are hanging on the door and to breathe in the wonderful smell of shelves of books. 

Don't these photos make you want to curl up with a good book? Would a Kindle suffice?


Source
Source
Source
Source















1 comment:

  1. I have my book! I got it from the library using Ty's card as I am a delinquent library book borrower. I'm sure I've been banned from borrowing books in several counties in two states.

    Anyway, I'm only a few chapters in (partially because of another book club which is meeting tomorrow - are book clubs the new thing?) and I'm enjoying it. I have to say that so far, her new friend is quite annoying and I don't like her. Also, some girl before me loved this book. The spine is completely falling apart.

    Unfortunately, those are my only thoughts on the book at this time. After Tuesday, I will be able to dedicate my full attention to Judy Blume's writing.

    ReplyDelete