January 23, 2012

Rule of Three



This morning I had my six-week postnatal check-up with the midwife. During my later prenatal appointments I was repeatedly asked how many children John and I plan on having. It seemed crazy to think about having a third child when I was just trying to prepare for the second child, but since we are fans of having our children close in age, it takes some early thinking and planning. The day I delivered Lucy the midwife again asked how many more children we plan to have. When I told her that we may stop at two she said, "Your body is a remarkable vehicle for birthing babies. You should have at least three kids!" What a good mantra - my body is a remarkable vehicle for birthing babies - but I have to wonder if the fact that I birth babies easily is good enough reason to parent another child?

The question of whether or not we will try to have more children has been rattling around in my head since Lucy was born. I have always imagined having a family with three children. I really like the dynamics of three children (family band!), but as reality of life has set in, the argument for only two children has seemed a little more valid. Some days I have been excited about the prospect of having another child. Other days I am ready to close up shop completely. Lately, though, I have consistently leaned towards wanting three children. Lucy feels like a middle child to me and our family feels full, but not complete. Now it's just a matter of John getting on board.

Do you have any arguments for or against having only two children? Having three children?

I've decided that if we have three children I would like to recreate these photos.

Source
Look at these hairdos! I would have to get professional help for this, especially since our children are bound to have fine hair. 

Source
Grayson kills a rabbit, to his sisters' complete dismay. 


Source
Very excited trio. Would they each be happier if they had only one sibling?

Source
Historical and cultural awareness.

Source
Now this is just plain fun. Can you believe these are carrots they are eating?

2 comments:

  1. As a middle child with one sister 6 years older and another 10 years younger, I think having kids close in age is ideal.

    Isn't it funny to think if y'all decide to have one more either Lucy or Grayson will be out numbered in terms of boys to girls? I could see Grayson being a very good brother to two younger sisters, but I could also see Lucy holding her own with two brothers :)

    Those pictures are hilarious by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After we had two (23 months apart) I knew I didn't feel complete. I was ready before Joe was ready for a third. I made my desires known and just waited him out. Scarlett is a little less than 4 years younger than her brother and 6 years younger than her sister. They are still somewhat "close" but in an entirely different way. It's been very interesting to have done it two different ways with child spacing. Savannah was present at Scarlett's birth and has a special connection as a little mother to her. Scarlett sometimes feels like an only child when the bigs are off at school. It was definitely nice to only have one child in diapers at a time.

    ReplyDelete