January 18, 2012

So Much Anticipation

Source

Am I the only one that gets anxiously excited as I wait to find out what my child's eye color will be? The anticipation slays me! When Grayson was one week old the pediatrician told me that he was almost certain Grayson's deep blue eyes would ultimately be brown. I secretly, or actually not-so-secretly, really wanted Grayson to have my light colored eyes. I knew genetics was not on my side, but I thought that maybe, somehow, Grayson could pull through with light eyes. Sure enough, as the months went on Grayson's eye color changed from the deep blue to a deep almond brown, John's eyes. I am pleased that Grayson has almost the exact shade of brown as John. Now it seems impossible for me to think of Grayson with light eyes. His round almond eyes are perfect.

When Lucy was born I mistakenly thought I matured enough to not be partial and impatient about her eye color. At this point finding out the eye color is as exciting to me as finding out the sex of the baby when I was pregnant. And truth be told, I would like for Lucy to have light eyes. The past few days I got my hopes up and  believed I saw flecks of light green in her deep blue eyes. Today, however, the shade is back to being murky, making me think she will have brown eyes. Each day I questioned Lucy's future eye color made me anticipate Lucy's upcoming pediatrician appointment. I figure that since pediatricians see so many babies they are the experts in the area of determining eye color. After all, it was a pediatrician who predicted Grayson's eye color. I realize that I view pediatricians as not only being medical doctors but also being fortunetellers of sorts. Lucy's pediatrician is a very astute and no-funny-business doctor. Not exactly the fortuneteller type. He has been known to call school teachers who have questioned his prescribed medical treatments. John and I know a woman who recently underwent thyroid surgery because Lucy's pediatrician happened to notice that this woman's neck looked irregular while he was examining her son. Very astute, indeed. So at today's appointment I focused more on the pediatrician's astuteness, and less on his seriousness, and took the risk of asking about Lucy's eye color. I figured I had nothing to lose, but I had a great deal to gain - the unfolded mystery of what will come to light in a few months. I was wrong. I did have something to lose. I am confident I lost a lot of credibility in the pediatrician's eyes. The one question I had during the exam was, "Well, do you know what her eye color will be? I'm so curious!" The pediatrician looked dead at me, rolled his eyes, pulled open Lucy's eyes, rolled his eyes again, and said, "There is no way of me knowing. Any other concerns?" I just shook my head. I tried to play it off like I was not that serious about wanting to know Lucy's eye color, and I had to hide my disappointment that Lucy's pediatrician refused to divulge what the future looks like for Lucy's eyes.

Does waiting for your baby's eyes to change color make you as anxious as me?

I always grew up hearing that people with light eyes can see in the dark better. Is this true? I consider it an advantage in playing sardines.

No comments:

Post a Comment