July 15, 2013

Royal Watch



With the birth of the Royal Baby any day now, I am realizing how out of the loop I have been about this whole hullabaloo. I am not sure what turned me off from keeping up with the Royals, but somewhere along the way I zoned out.

Today, as I was loading my groceries into my William and Kate tote, I got to thinking about their upcoming venture into parenthood. I cannot imagine what it will be like for them. I just read that Kate did not have any baby showers because it would be deemed inappropriate,  given that she and William have plenty of money. Practical Royals. They definitely don't follow the lead of Hollywood. I give a nod to Kate for her prudence, but I also feel bad for her. I hope that there was a secret shower so Kate got to have some sort of gal pal time to giggle about pregnancy. Because that's what showers are all about, right?

In my eleventh hour intrigue of the Royal Fetus, I have learned some interesting things. The most interesting news I have come across, other than the fact that Americans are far more into the Royal Bump than Brits, is news of Heidi Agan, a Kate impersonator. Heidi, like most lookalikes, has a real rags-to-riches story. I get the sense that there is a formula to being a hired lookalike: work as a waitress or minimum-wage job, have multiple people insist that you look like someone famous, alter your appearance in one subtle way, and - voila! You are moving up in the world and almost completely indistinguishable from a celebrity. 

For years I have known that celebrity impersonators exist. I am almost certain we have all seen the move Dave at least half a dozen times, given the repeat nature of TBS movies. Even though I know about impersonators, it all seems theoretical. Looking at Heidi Agan's Facebook page, and all the work she does, leaves me feeling betrayed. She was walking arm-in-arm with Barbara Walters for a brief stint on 20/20, answering questions about the baby. Babara WaWa did come clean that she was talking to an impersonator, but it was weird. How many celebrity impersonators have conducted entire interviews that I undoubtedly ate up?

1 comment:

  1. That look alike is crazy!!! I can't get over it. My mind is blown.

    ReplyDelete