January 12, 2012

Thought-Provoking Thursday

OBESITY: ALWAYS A BIG TOPIC

Anything public health related will always strike my interest. When it comes to the obesity epidemic, there is no lack of news. Everyday research articles and stories abound on the topic. This week, the NPR story about obesity ads put out by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta caught my attention.
Are these ads on point or too in-your-face?



Check out this super intense ad from Australia.


MOVING OTHERS OUT TO MOVE IN?

John and I are considering buying a house. I know that buying a house for some folks is a natural step and exciting - it is exciting - but it can also be intimidating and scary. The area where we are looking at houses is an area that used to be a place you would most likely not venture into, but now it is up-and-coming. Something that weighs on me when we are considering houses is my opinion about gentrification. I have lived in gentrified areas, and I have seen the pros and cons of gentrification in multiple cities. I love seeing old buildings restored and spaces used in unique ways, but is gentrification really good? I still don't know exactly what I think or how I feel about the gentrification process.

UNNECESSARY OR NECESSARY SWEETNESS?

I am skeptical about flavored apples. Would you buy these for children?



What has been thought-provoking for you this week?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. That Australia ad was intense. I go back and forth regarding the shock value of ads, but I have to say, it seems to be working. Lame as it is, I had to take an Alive at 25 driving course the other week and the instructor showed some graphic photos and videos of reckless driving and the consequences. Since the class, I have put on my seatbelt every time(yes, it is true, I was not a seatbelter) and have been more diligent in slowing it down. The images I saw are hard to ignore. In a world of overstimulation, I wonder what else besides ads like the ones you posted will really make a lasting impact?

    ReplyDelete