January 19, 2012

Thought-Provoking Thursday

First, this photo is terrifying, yet intriguing. Second, here is a brief article about Chinese censorship. Censorship is so foreign to me. I think of SOPA and the fight against that form of censorship, but the regulations of SOPA compare nothing to the Chinese government (my blog is probably officially being tracked now. More readership... ha!) It's hard for me to comprehend living in a culture that has so many regulations.

Source
There is controversy over this Mad Men promotional poster. Some say it is too reminiscent of 9/11. Fans see the poster simply as the silhouette that is shown during the beginning credits. I did have flashes of 9/11 when I first saw this poster, but my question is why there is not controversy over the opening credits, where this man is actually falling from a building?

P.S. We stopped watching Mad Men at the beginning of season 2. I loved the social commentary that was so big in season 1, but I felt like the show took a turn and became primarily about infidelity. Is it worth picking up again?

I would love to know your thoughts and comments, or anything that has been thought-provoking to you this week!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor and I just started watching Mad Men (mainly because of Lauren's party) and it hadn't even occurred to me that the opening credits would lead some to think of 9/11...

    We're still in season 1, but if that's the case with season 2 we might have to pass as well.

    ReplyDelete