April 16, 2012

Bump in the Night

Source

Some insight into my soul: I very much believe in the spiritual world around us. I believe in angels. I believe in spirits. I believe in demons. The spiritual world is addressed in the Bible as being very true and seems like a very busy place. That being said, I don't know what to make of any of it. I don't understand how the spiritual realm works. What I do know is that I am not crazy about having spiritual encounters. Yes, I believe there are angels surrounding us. Do I want to see them, hear them, feel them? Nope. Any mention of spiritual encounters in the Bible usually involves great fear. I would rather live in my very present and visible world.

There's a glitch to my dream of living in the simply in the tangible world, though. I would not have say I have a sixth sense, but I am sensitive to feelings around me.I get uncomfortable easily. I often wonder what else is going on around me. I am sure I got a few eye rolls just now. Whatever, I own it. 


Six months ago my grandmother died. The week she died we went to Savannah. My parents offered that we stay in her room, where she died. My parents are very familiar with having relatives die in their home, so offering my grandmother's room as a guest room did not seem out of the ordinary. This was my first experience with knowing for certainty that someone - and not just anyone, someone I loved - died in my parents' house. I was not eager to sleep in my grandmother's bed. The sheets had been changed, but still... We ended up sleeping in the office on an air mattress. A couple of weeks ago we visited my parents again. My grandmother's mattress was replaced shortly after our last visit. For some reason the new mattress made everything seem different, even though nothing else in the room had changed. That weekend I slept where my grandmother died.

I felt surprisingly at ease in my grandmother's room. Until the middle of the night. I was wide awake in the middle of the night because Lucy was sleeping uneasy. The house was still. When Lu was asleep the room was very still. Lu would fall asleep for a few minutes and then get startled awake. It because tiring cycle. It was an uncharacteristic cycle for Lu - the girl likes to sleep. Sometime during the cycle, as I was lying in bed I got a strong whiff of my grandmother's perfume, like someone just walked past the bed. I am fully aware that tiredness, grief, stress, you name it, can conjure up strange experiences. I was tired, and I was missing my grandmother, but I was not missing her so much that I was imagining a breeze of her perfume. The feeling and smell of my grandmother walking next to the bed happened three times. Part of me thought it was endearing if she was trying to engage with Lucy. That was a small part of me. A majority of me wondered why my grandmother would be hanging out in her room, and how long she would stay.

Do you believe in the spiritual realm?  Any stories of your own?

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What an experience! I never thought much about spirits until last summer. We moved into a house that was haunted. Not just a little bit but really and truly haunted. Grant had an uneasy feeling the first time we walked into the house (which has never before happened to him) but since we had only seen the outside before agreeing to move in we were stuck in that space. Doors opened by themselves, whispers could be heard at nightfall and our dog became strangely scared during our first week there, whimpering and shaking at things we couldn't see. For a while I chalked up the doors and sounds to it being an old house, until finally there was no reasoning out of it. Even visitors said it was haunted without us ever saying anything about our strange happenings. I think that sometimes spirits linger and I believe that everyone (even those who have already passed) will go to Heaven at the same time when Jesus returns. So why couldn't some people return to see what they missed? I hope that your grandmother lavished sweet kisses and thoughts on sweet Lucy and hopefully she will sleep more peacefully next time you are there.

    ReplyDelete