April 18, 2012

Person of Intrigue: Fred Birchmore

Source

This week Athens lost a very dynamic man. To be honest, I did not know of Fred Birchmore prior to this week. I think I may have spoken to him at the YMCA, but at the time he seemed to me to just be a friendly gentleman who was taken with Grayson's zest for life. Monday morning I heard a brief report of Mr. Birchmore's death on NPR. The announcement highlighted Mr. Birchmore's cycling expeditions, athletic abilities, civic duties, and his famous walk down the steps of the Washington Monument on his hands. I was initially intrigued by the fact that Mr. Birchmore was a regular citizen who lived a life so unique that it was mentioned on NPR and posted in the lobby of the YMCA. Then I learned about his hand walk down the steps of the Washington Monument and I was captivated.

Here is one of the most interesting obituaries. I was reminded that not everyone gets the chance to grow old, but everyone who is old had the opportunity to be young. Mr. Birchmore seemed to live always like he was young. Life to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment