March 26, 2012

A Mad Men Tribute of Sorts

Source
My tribute to the Mad Men premiere this week is this cautionary post that references January Jones consuming her placenta. During one of my maternal health classes we received recipes for cooking up the placenta, everything from brownies to lasagna. Truth be told, I wanted to keep the placenta when Grayson was born. I wanted to bury it and plant a tree over it. It could have been the organ that lived on. The gift that kept on giving. We were living in an apartment at the time so we could either contribute to the landscape of our building or plant the placenta in a pot that would travel with us during our moves. Neither option seemed optimal. I started to suspect that the placenta would stay in the freezer next to our deer meet, only to be tossed out when we moved. How terrible for the garbage man to find a frozen placenta? I delivered Grayson at a highly routine and medical hospital, so the issue quickly became moot because taking my placenta home was not an option. So that was that. I felt a little cheated. Funny how things change the second time around - I probably could have taken the placenta home after Lucy was born, but all I wanted to do was look at it, give it a brief salute, and thank it for all the vital work it did during the pregnancy.

Do you have any strong feelings towards your placenta?

No comments:

Post a Comment