March 22, 2012

Thought-Provoking Thursday: Full Disclosure?

Source

Last week I read this blog post from Motherlode about the dilemma of whether or not to disclose a pregnancy to a perspective employer. I had this dilemma when I was pregnant with Grayson. When I was nine months pregnant with Grayson I began applying for jobs outside Atlanta that would be more baby-friendly. I was uncertain about what approach to take in addressing my pregnancy, whether it should be addressed at all. I did not know the best strategy for going into an interview nine months pregnant. I picked out clothing that would minimize, maybe even hide my pregnancy. I did not want to be discounted the moment an employer saw my stomach. As things would turn out, I was in early labor when I was scheduled to have an interview. I had no option but to disclose my pregnancy, since I thought it would be worse to just randomly ask to reschedule the interview. It was surreal to email an potential employer to ask him to rearrange his schedule because I was in labor. My cover was blown. My disclosure did not hurt my cause, though. I got the job. Admittedly, I was very surprised I got the job. I continually told myself that no one in their right mind would hire a woman who just had a baby. I guess I am biased.

What are your thoughts? I think the dilemma could be challenging for women who about to get married as well. Would you tell an employer that you are engaged? It seems like a red flag to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment